Thursday, April 13, 2006

Chocolate bunnies, jelly beans and peeps

Image hosting by Photobucket

I was baptized in the Greek Orthodox Church. My family celebrates Easter on a different day than most of America. Generally, it’s a couple of weeks later.
Each year I return to work on the Monday after Easter, and people will always how my Easter was. I always answer something to the effect of “the real Easter isn’t for another couple of weeks.”

I try to explain that it has something to do with the Gregorian and Julian calendars, different methods of reckoning time, phases of the moon, and this information is usually more than most people care or want to understand.

I figure it's about time to come clean with the real reason for the differing date. It’s so we can get our Easter supplies after the rush. While the rest of you are paying retail for your Easter supplies, we’re grabbing all the 75% clearance items off the Target aisles the day after Easter. And laughing our asses off on the way to the bank!

dena at 10:50 AM

11comments

11 Comments

at 12:15 PM Blogger yellojkt said...

My folks live in Tarpon Springs which is a Greek fishing village in Florida. They have a cross-diving ceremony every year on Greek Orthodox Easter that is quite a tourist attraction.

I've always thought we should celebrate Epipheny rather than Christmas so we could get good deals at the after-Christmas sales.

 
at 1:58 PM Blogger kenju said...

Aren't you the lucky one?! ince I don't have kids at home and no one will be here this year for Easter - I don't have to buy anything....Yeah!!

 
at 6:16 PM Blogger The Mistress of the Dark said...

LOL! I've yet to figure out the calender difference myself and I just spent 4 days reading about Catherine the Great and there was quite a bit about the Orthodox religion in it too.

 
at 9:24 PM Blogger soapbox.SUPERSTAR said...

As much damn time and money as you spend in Target, I am surprised you don't have stock in the company!

 
at 9:50 PM Blogger -tnchick- said...

Then there are people like me who doesn't go out and buy any of that on or after Easter. Well, I get some candy but it doesn't have to be chocolate bunnies as I don't like chocolate. :)

 
at 8:47 AM Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very clever!

 
at 11:37 AM Blogger melissa said...

:)

Love the reasoning!

 
at 1:03 AM Anonymous Anonymous said...

Evil! Thats what it is...just plain EVIL! Oh well, Happy Easter anyway!

 
at 2:19 AM Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

LOL, LOL! Well, whenever it is, I wish you a very Happy Happy Easter, my dear!

 
at 10:26 AM Blogger NaeNae said...

Interesting! Everytime I visit, I am always learning something new. Do you still "celebrate" with the Easter bunny and hunting Easter eggs?

 
at 1:17 AM Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just doen't seem like Easter without me biting the head off a few peeps!

 

Post a Comment