Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Clowning around

Image hosting by Photobucket

Image hosting by Photobucket

I've never been a fan of clowns. I rarely find their antics amusing, and I've always wondered what would drive an adult to choose clowning as a profession. In fact, they sort of creep me out.

I have always found it difficult to keep my likes and dislikes private. I don't hesistate to try and persuade friends and family members to come to my side. That being said, it's been difficult for me to keep my distaste for clowns away from Ethan. I knew that the day would come when Adam would want to take Ethan to a circus, or that he would be invited to a party and a clown would show up. Knowing this, I zipped it. That's a hard one for me, but I did it.

On Saturday we attended such a party, and I was so happy that Ethan was excited about the clown. More than excited. He was first in line to get his face painted, while many of the other kids stood back and just watched. I had accomplished what I had set out to do, and that was to make sure that Ethan enjoyed something that could be fun, even if I saw it differently. And to be a really good sport, I even got my face painted.

dena at 8:07 PM

12comments

12 Comments

at 8:29 PM Anonymous Anonymous said...

all of my kids hate clowns, but i don't really understand why. my oldest got a really nice ceramic one that plays send in the clowns when you wind it up and i had to take it out of her room cuz she couldn't sleep at night.

 
at 12:49 AM Blogger -tnchick- said...

good for you! :)

i like some clowns. i think some do it to bring joy and smile to kiddos...

 
at 6:34 AM Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with you...I don't like clowns. They are a step up from Mimes as far as I'm concerned and you know how people hate Mimes! Maybe I just don't understand (sigh!).

 
at 6:46 AM Anonymous Anonymous said...

Clowns have always scared me just a bit

Andrea

 
at 8:01 AM Anonymous Anonymous said...

But...but where's the picture of your face with the paint?

 
at 8:20 AM Anonymous Anonymous said...

We went so over the top with Jackson's 1st birthday party and hired two clowns. He and about half the kids were terrified. Some even hid under chairs. The other half loved it. Jackson still hates them though. I'm pretty sure he'll have a lifelong clown phobia thanks to us.

 
at 12:33 PM Blogger Your Mother said...

I think clowns are creepy by nature. I don't care for them. Although I've never told my children that, they are both scared shitless of them. Creeeeeeppyyyy!

 
at 1:05 PM Anonymous Anonymous said...

My oldest daughter is deathly afraid of them!

Once at a parade she was marching with her dance team and she saw the clowns so she went to hide in the car.

Those bastards went OVER TO THE CAR and started tapping on the windows!
She was hysterical.

So, you see, clowns really are evil.
Stephen King was right after all.

 
at 10:05 PM Anonymous Anonymous said...

A friend of mine used to have this huge oil painting, you know with the thick strokes, of a sad faced clown with the dumb flower out of his hat. I hated walking past that thing to go to the restroom. And I made it a point to tell him how much it freaked me out...I would walk way, away from it.

I don't like clowns or mimes. The sad faced clowns are the worst for me. If one of those comes up to me trying to be funny I just want to hit them and run for it!

But it is wonderful how you kept it together for your son. Kudos for getting the face painting.

 
at 5:45 AM Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

You are such a good Mom, Dena..AND a good sport, too!! It's great that Ethan has his own reactions to this particular thing, isn't it?

What is it about clowns..btw...they creep a lot of people out??? Personally I have always loved clowns (Though I certainly think it is an odd profession) As a kid, I loved it when all those millions..(well, you know what I mean) would get out of that little tiny car at the Circus...Wonder how Ethan would rewspond to them!

 
at 6:38 AM Blogger craziequeen said...

I'm a coulrophobic (clown phobia) they terrify me.......

Nice to see I'm not alone! :-)

btw - Ethan looks magical!

cq

 
at 9:01 PM Blogger Lazy Daisy said...

Michele sent me....what a cutie. Good for you for not sharing your "fears" with your child!

 

Post a Comment