Sunday, February 19, 2006

Spice it up

Image hosting by Photobucket

I've read that Old Spice is making a huge comeback with college-aged men and men in their 20s. Old Spice, the scent of almost all Daddies during the late 60s and early 70s.

I haven't thought of, or smelled. Old Spice in years. Once I read about the comeback, a vivid memory of my Dad, looking movie star handsome in his suit and white starched shirt, leaning over my bed to kiss me good bye, his neck smelling of just-splashed Old Spice, quickly entered my mind. He was my hero.

Each Christmas my gift to my Dad was some sort of Old Spice product. A bottle of cologne, a shaving mug and brush (the lost art of latering up with a brush is another story), a bar of soap. Each Christmas I felt the same anticipation, and each Christmas he smiled the same pleased-as-punch smile.

One Christmas I made the huge mistake of veering off-track, and purchasing Hi-Karate. My Dad wore it a couple of times, but went right back to using his Old Spice. I knew I had made a poor decision, and for Father's Day, along with the traditional gift of a Banlon shirt and Bermuda shorts, I also added a bottle of Old Spice.

Father's Day isn't too far off. I already know what one of my Dad's gifts will be. A bottle of Old Spice. I can't wait to give him a hug, the first time he wears it, and remember that smell all over again.

dena at 8:30 AM

16comments

16 Comments

at 3:30 PM Anonymous Anonymous said...

My Papa Welbert wore that. I can only imagine if I spelled it on someone I would think of him. Nice memory.

 
at 6:44 PM Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm sure my husband still has a bottle of this stuff, but i don't think he ever wore it.

 
at 6:47 PM Blogger -tnchick- said...

I haven't smelled that in a long time... but I have noticed it (or did) on the shelves around Christmas!

 
at 8:25 PM Blogger carmilevy said...

Tradition is a powerful thing. I think I may have to give it a try myself: maybe start a new tradition between me and my own kids.

 
at 10:41 PM Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

Everything Old Is New Again..Right? I love that Old Spice is having a return to glory! In truth, I hadn't realized it was off the rader at all..I love continuity and tradition, don't you?
Thanks for your comment today, Dena...I love visiting your blog and always enjoy anything and everything you write about!

 
at 12:25 AM Blogger kenju said...

Dena, my dad used to wear it all the time, and many a holiday he get a bottle of it from me. I still remember how it smelled....yum.

 
at 6:42 AM Blogger The Mistress of the Dark said...

I think my dad used to wear it too. He doesn't wear much aftershave anymore. It does have a lovely smell though.

 
at 10:50 AM Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that is the one smell that people have that evokes memories of better days. I even use it myself and can't count the number of times that someone says, "You smell like my dad!" I'd take that as a compliment.

 
at 11:49 AM Blogger soapbox.SUPERSTAR said...

Hello...my dad still wears it and still shaves with Old Spice. He has an Old Spice mug that he lathers up with a shaving cream brush. He has worn Old Spice for as long as I can remember.

 
at 11:54 AM Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have me crying here.
My grandaddy wore it every day of his life.
He was like a father to me.

Someone gave him a bottle of Canoe one year and he always used it to dab on my mosquito bites to make them stop itching.
(he never wore it though)

 
at 6:34 PM Blogger Olyal said...

I love old spice too. I always rememebr the bottle that my dad used to use. He also used to lather up with the brush for his shave! It goes to show that a classic scent is always a winner. :o)

 
at 9:39 PM Blogger NaeNae said...

When I think of Old Spice, I think of my step grandfather. Although he was a "step" grandfather, he was the real thing in my eyes. I loved him so much! He was an old farmer...but never forgot to wear his Old Spice. Old Spice brings back fond memories of spending time with him.

 
at 11:50 PM Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think this is maybe the third wave of resurging popularity that I've seen Old Spice go through since I was a kid.

Every once in awhile I notice that it's all of a sudden all over the place, then it sort of fades into the background and the trendy stuff moves forward. But Old Spice just hangs in there and will make these comebacks. Pretty cool.
And the stuff has been around since the 1830s.

 
at 10:04 AM Anonymous Anonymous said...

Old Spice and English Leather were both popular when I was a teenager and would be out "parking" with boyfriends...and so the smell is sort of sexy to me.

 
at 1:01 PM Blogger sage said...

I remember receiving an old spice gift set when I graduated from college... and a little later I did get a old spice soap mug with a whisk brush and it was a great way to shave. All good memories; I gave up shaving nearly two decades ago...

 
at 9:07 AM Anonymous Anonymous said...

My daddy wore that too, and stetston. GREAT post!

 

Post a Comment