Monday, February 06, 2006

One more time...will blogger chew this one up

I posted this on Saturday...it disappeared on Saturday, just a couple hours later. I posted another post on Saturday, and it disappeared. Let's see what happens here....

How does one become the Liberty Tax Service Statue of Liberty or Uncle Sam?

Virginia Beach is a big city. We have over 450,000 people living here. We don't have an actual downtown, but we've got 80 bajillion neighborhoods, and a huge middle class population that waits for income tax season, with the hopes of getting a refund. There is a Liberty Tax Service, an H&R Block, or some other small tax service shop set up at every major intersection. There are a lot of major intersections in Virginia Beach and it's neighbor cities of Norfolk, Chesapeake, and Portsmouth.

If you're at a loss for a family entertainment activity, driving around the cities and rating the Liberty Dancers can fill a Saturday afternoon. Liberty Dancers are a diverse group. Men, Women, White, Hispanic, Black, Asian, Young, Old. Liberty is a true equal opportunity employer.

We have a Liberty about a mile from our home, and they have two Statues of Liberty out front. Not the best dancers, but great wavers and smilers. Upon further investigation I realized that the two women are part of a homeless threesome in our area. I'm not sure why the male part of the threesome didn't apply for the Uncle Sam part. He's tall and thin, and certainly fit the bill. Perhaps this Liberty doesn't have an Uncle Sam costume?

This threesome is a very odd little group. I am sure many of you remember the Elizabeth Smart story from a few years back. Younger girl with two creepy adults. Well, that's this group. They walk up and down Virginia Beach Boulevard, and one of them is usually carrying a small appliance - a toaster oven, a microwave, a coffee pot. One time I saw them with a set of kitchen cutlery. Another time I saw them at the local mall carrying a bag of fetilizer. (There is not a store in the mall that carries fertilizer) I run into this threesome a lot, and the two women are always walking about five to ten steps behind the man, and always look at you and smile. He never does.

My guess is that he's sitting at the Hardee's across the street, sipping a cup of coffee in the warmth, while the two of them freeze, wave and smile in their Statue of Liberty attire.

But I still want to know. How do you get this job?

dena at 8:58 AM

8comments

8 Comments

at 9:24 AM Anonymous Anonymous said...

we have them here too.

The one the other day looked like Dave Chappelle doing one of his crack addict skits.

My girls laugh and laugh when we drive by.

I am always worried that they will cause an accident.
The street they are on is the most accident prone street in town!

 
at 12:06 PM Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love life's little quirks (but not the kind the computer comes up with). Glad you were able to re-post...but what happened to the photo?

 
at 12:22 PM Blogger yellojkt said...

I would think you would take the job in order to pay your back taxes.

 
at 12:37 PM Blogger melissa said...

:) We have TWO Liberty tax services in Des Moines, the bustling metropolis that it is...

I think you should look into that threesome. Sounds fishy.

(looks down at shirt that says "Conspiracy Theorist")

(okay, there's no shirt. but you get the idea.)

(there is a shirt, but it doesn't say "Conspiracy Theorist." It's green. And a sweater.)

 
at 1:51 PM Anonymous Anonymous said...

we have h & r block here, they set up shop about every 10 feet or so. we're in a big city too, about double your size, but we don't have those threesomes happening here. probably too cold.

 
at 6:06 PM Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

I had the same earely Saturday and into the afternoon..I would Post and it would be there for 2 minutes and then it would be gone and when I went back to it in Dashboard it was an earlier draft!!! This happened three times! FINALLY, it "took"...!
Oy Vey, is all I can say...

The people you speak of in costumes is new to me...I've never seen that here in L.A., but it could certainly be happening in some of the parts that I don't go to..this is a HUGE place...so, I'm sure we must have similar Tax Businesses doing this...
But it is kind of creepy, isn't it?

 
at 8:28 PM Anonymous Anonymous said...

I see the Liberty folks whenever I'm in Colonial Heights.

You aren't the only Blogger person I've seen complaining about lost posts over the weekend.

Ethan looks very, very happy with his big old piece of gum and his Granddaddy.

 
at 4:52 PM Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go to our website and type in your zip code for the location nearest you www.libertytax.com! We hire all types of people to be wavers for us, equal opportunity. We only look for fun outgoing people none of the other stuff really matters! Just have to know how to have fun! I am Danny Hewitt VP of Guerrilla Marketing for the company email me at marketing@libtax.com and I will send you a FREE GIFT CERTIFICATE to come try us out. I bet you never knew taxes could be fun. We are glad to hear that we have been able to make you smile day after day, that is our goal, Create Raving Fans!!!!!!! Till next time!

Danny Hewitt
VP of Guerrilla Marketing
AKA Lady Liberty

 

Post a Comment