Thursday, February 16, 2006

Is it too much to ask?

Tonight I had to do a quick Target run for Ike and Cujo. They needed a new bag of Beneful Healthy Weight.

I walk up to the Ten Items or Less lane, and start to pick the bag up to make it easier for the clerk to scan. With frantic gestures, she motions for me to leave the bag in the cart. My total shows up on the register screen, and rather than say $20.32, she turns it toward me, and sharply points her finger at the screen. I give her the money, and she hands me my change. Not a word was exchanged. Nothing. No hello, no how are you and no thank you for shopping at Target.

My first instinct was to snatch her up by her scraggly ass head and say, "Bitch, I ought to go complain about you" and then I thought to myself, "Hey, Target's hiring the vocally impaired. That's really cool. I love to see equal oppotrunity employment in action." I was starting to feel a little better about my rude treatment.

All that changed rather quickly as I put my cart up, glanced backward and noticed that MY clerk was having quite the animated coversation with one of her co-workers. Had I not been in such a hurry to get home tonight I would have run over there and GONE OFF.

Really, is it too much to ask the Target clerk to be just a little pleasant?

dena at 7:53 PM

15comments

15 Comments

at 11:44 PM Blogger Ditsy Chick said...

Clearly this was a Wal-Mart disguised as a Target to get you to never shop at Target again.

 
at 11:54 PM Anonymous Anonymous said...

That happened to me once in a supermarket on Long Island. Coincidentally, I was also in the Express Line. I decided to play dumb, as though I couldn't see the total.

She just looked at me and finally I said, "Well? How much is it?"

She pointed again but told me the total.

I paid her with the exact change I'd already counted out and said, "See, did it kill you to talk to me?"

Of course, that number was all she'd said, but at least I got up enough nerve that time to call her out on it.

 
at 6:46 AM Blogger The Mistress of the Dark said...

Ah the joys of customer service! When work interrupts life. I worked retail for many years and i've seen it happen and I've had it happen to me. Most of the times I just brush it off. Because I really don't want to talk to the target employee. I just want to buy my stuff and get the hell out.

 
at 8:58 AM Blogger Viamarie said...

Next time this happens, I suggest you report the rude treatment to the manager or the supervisor. Customers need to be treated well no matter what the her circumstances are.

Michele sent me. Have a great weekend!

 
at 9:35 AM Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have this happen mostly at fast food places but sometimes at Target.

I will always say, Thank you HAVE A NICE DAY~

In a loud bitchy voice.

It makes ME feel better anyway.

 
at 12:39 PM Blogger soapbox.SUPERSTAR said...

Maybe you had a booger on your face, and she thought that if she opened her mouth to talk, she would probably vomit, so she decided to keep quiet...

 
at 1:41 PM Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'd still go back and complain. we don't have target here, only walmart.

 
at 3:58 PM Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't get me started...

Anyway, here from Michele's.

Have a GREAT weekend - and I mean it!

 
at 3:59 PM Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

It seems the way of the world now, doesn't it Dena? These Chains are soooo big, and I don't think they care about "Proper Training" of their clerks/checkers....They know people will come back, no matter what!
Sad, sad, sad.

Michele sent me today, but I'm here all the time!

 
at 5:15 PM Blogger NaeNae said...

Well...perhaps she was practicing a lesson her mother taught her as a child...

"If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all" (referring to her animated conversation with a co=worker).

Again, I think it's rude, though. I'm with ya, Dena!

 
at 8:51 PM Blogger soapbox.SUPERSTAR said...

It was a booger. Guess you weren't to "diligent" about making sure you didn't have boogers on your face!

Any new news on the dead bloated body that washed on shore this morning?

 
at 11:10 PM Blogger kenju said...

You should have complained about her!

A dead body washed up? Where?

 
at 2:03 AM Blogger Your Mother said...

No it is not too much to ask. The older I get, the more this is really starting to piss me off. That whole "I spend good money here" actually has a meaning for me now. God, I'm pathetic!

However, the chatty clerk does take a second to my worst peev: That of the clerk at any gas station, quikstop, 7/11, etc. who won't hang up that fucking phone and wait on me properly. Damnit that irritates the fuck out of me and I've been known (okay, it was only one time) to hang it up for her becuase she wouldn't answer my question. My kids were horrified.

 
at 8:13 AM Blogger sage said...

isn't it great to be able to unload here!

 
at 10:26 AM Anonymous Anonymous said...

It has gotten to the point that when I have a really great cashier (clerk) I feel like I should put a note in the company's mailbox complimenting them, saying "hold on to them, they are so rare!"

 

Post a Comment