Sunday, January 08, 2006

Next

Have you ever seen the show Next on MTV? I know, I know...what the hell am I doing watching shows like this? Well, I started watching it months ago, and it sucked me in. Sucked me in HARD. Now it's just pissed me off. I just feel that this show purposely exploits young gay men. I am appalled at the language and the approach. Stereotypical, clichéd, and demeaning. Total emphasis on sexual stuff rather than finding a companion/nice guy, which in my opinion is just pure exploitaiton.The versions with the straight guys and girls weren't much better...but a little more appropriate. Not quite as obvious, and much more toned down.

What bothers me is that this show comes on during the day on Saturday and Sunday, and is almost a platform for younger teenaged boys to practice their gay bashing skills. I can just picture a group of thirteen year old boys watching this, laughing and joking together and making horrible gay jokes.

The show is very staged, and some of the comments that the young men make promote sex with multiple partners. This show could be tasteful, but instead it's giving out a horrible message to both gay and straight young people. I would like to think that MTV would take a closer look, and try and regain some of its oringal hipness.

Hey, maybe it's just me, but I am curious if anyone else had any thoughts on the show.

dena at 7:04 PM

8comments

8 Comments

at 8:10 PM Blogger sage said...

Haven't watched it, but then I don't watch much TV, the only thing I've seen on the tube in the past month has been portions of ballgames. When I use to get MTV, I never got into it. I think I was too old--it started about the time I graduated from college and was in my anti-tv kick. Sorry, I know this doesn't help... I've learned a lot about what's on TV from other blogs. blessings.

 
at 8:26 PM Anonymous Anonymous said...

never heard of it, it's not one that any of my kids are watching.

 
at 12:17 AM Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

I've never seen this show and in fact never even heard of it either...but then, maybe it's because I almost never watch MTV..But, I trust what you say Dena, and this show sounds atrocious! WHY? Why woild MTV promote something that sounds from what you say..Open Season For Bashing on gay people...!!!
Are they into promoting hate? I don't know because I know nothing about their proigramming except that it use to be a lot of Music Video's...! If I were you I would write them, ASAP! Give em hell, girl!

 
at 5:27 AM Blogger Chatty said...

I've seen it and am in complete agreement with you. It takes a lot to shock me, and that show knocks me off of my feet. But, lately, all of MTV does that. It's gross.

 
at 11:33 AM Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dena,
you're asking too much of MTV (or any kind of tv these days) when you ask for tasteful. I like to think that there may be some 14 year-old boys who aren't watching, but maybe I'm dreaming.

 
at 2:20 PM Blogger soapbox.SUPERSTAR said...

Ummm HELLO???? You watch it. Religiously!

 
at 4:59 PM Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've only seen in once and I was shocked that it was on in the middle of the day!

 
at 12:57 PM Anonymous Anonymous said...

MTV is the worst of TV. Especially for the impact it has on kids. This is the station that makes it cool to be stupid by corning phases like "nerd" and "dweeb"! As one of my neighbors says "the only cure of MTV is good parenting!'

 

Post a Comment