Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Adam's B'day Present - 1999

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

In 1999, I decided to get Adam a puppy for his birthday. We already had one dog, a rescued pup named Cujo. Cujo was three years old, and seemed like she needed someone to keep her company when we were at work. We decided on a Border Collie - they like to play Frisbee, we liked the look and size of the breed, and they're smarter than many people I've met.

We started asking around, and soon we located a farm that had a litter of pups ready for new homes. I really wanted a female puppy, but it was Adam's gift and he wanted a male. We picked out a little tri-color. Dog trainers recommend giving your dog one syllable names for command purposes, and I came up with Ike. The name suited him well.

I've always taken my dogs to obedience classes, not only for the basic training offered, but for the socialization, as well. Adam didn't want to do the school thing, and I happily took over. Of course, he didn't realize that this would soon mean that I would be Ike's "main person." It's just the way it is in the dog world. Ike excelled in his class; no surprise there. He learned all the hand signals, obstacle training, and jumping. And we bonded.

Ike is no longer Adam's dog. He hasn't been for quite awhile. Even Adam will tell you that the dog is in love with me. Although he likes all of us, he worships me. I'v caught him staring at me with the googoo eyes of an adolescent boy. I've also seen this dog roll and cut his eyes at Adam when he walks by him, much like a teenager would do when his father tells him to do something that he disagrees with. I really try to get the two of them to form a real bond, but it's just not happening. Even with dogs, you can't force a real friendship.

dena at 7:54 PM

10comments

10 Comments

at 9:59 PM Blogger Chatty said...

Adorable.

My dog loves me to death. Loves husband a bit more. It's because I am the caregiver and he is the plaything. Mama's boy...Man's best friend. :)

 
at 10:18 PM Blogger Kimberly said...

Ooooo what a sweet face on that pup!! I love my Lillian like a kid. She's the best pet I've ever had. I'm gonna go hug her now:) xo

 
at 10:20 PM Blogger Kimberly said...

HA! We were just commenting on each other's blogs at the same exact time!!

 
at 10:39 PM Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ike looks very cool. Does he ever make it to the beach?

 
at 11:08 PM Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a beautiful dog! I miss my terrier-poodle that I grew up with almost every day... And she passed away 12 years ago!

 
at 11:36 PM Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

Lovely, Wonderful Dog! Don't you just love that dogs or...truly..I think any animal has a mknd and heart of it's own, just like people...What a gorgeous doggie he is, too!

Dena...your life ian't boring to me, at all! I think you have a wonderful life, and I'm glad to know you here in Blogland!

 
at 6:02 AM Blogger The Mistress of the Dark said...

For mother's day one year we rescued a beautiful cat named Misty for my mum. Unfortunately for some reason Misty became my cat.

Animals have a funny way of choosing people some times :)

 
at 7:46 AM Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have two fish.

Your pet is cuter...

Hi Michele sent me over... Glad I came!

 
at 10:05 AM Anonymous Anonymous said...

Border Collies are supposed to be super smart dogs. Martin had to pick Eu-dor-a, now I am worried about the syllables! I am hoping the pups like me best too since I spend more time with them.

Your dog is beautiful!

 
at 8:23 PM Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our dog will barely even go near my husband because my husband is NEVER home.

She listens to me faithfully and attacks the kids like littermates.

She is a good dog.

 

Post a Comment