Monday, November 21, 2005

Pa rum pum pum pum

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I love holiday music. I think hearing that first carrol of the season is what really ushers in the holiday for me. Our local radio station doesn't start playing the carrols until the day after Thanksgiving, but this year I have begun the listening a little early. Huge thanks to my friend The Music Whore, who sent me a ton of fantastic music files today. She's created an eclectic blend of some songs, performed by some fabulous artists. I'm particularly excited that she included Little Drummer Boy, my favorite. And this version, done by Grey Eye Glances, may just be one of the best I've ever heard (Thanks Andrea! I love it!)

The other day, when I was at my friend Nadine's house, she mentioned the fantastic idea of carroling. I'm all for it! Can you think of anything more entertaining than a bunch of Moms, a few kids of assorted ages, and several drunk Dads(there's no way they'll go unless alcohol is involved) ringing your bell, and then busting into song just before you open the door. We've decided to take it to a totally different level by introducing some dance routines, and at Misty's suggestion, will even add a cowbell to the mix.

We haven't prepared the playlist yet, but I thought this might be a good place to get a list started. We certainly want to ensure that we cover all the favorites. What do you like to hear at Christmas? Is there one carrol that simply shouts Christmas to your ears? Let us know. We need to start practicing. Christmas is just a few short weeks away!

dena at 8:12 PM

6comments

6 Comments

at 10:15 PM Blogger kenju said...

That's a great idea. We used to have a big bonfire in our neighborhood, and everyone would have a candle and sing carols for an hour and then go to a home and have cookies and hot cider. It is so nice for the children, I think.

I love the song "O Holy Night".

 
at 10:30 PM Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

"Oh Holy Night" A traditional chorale version, and then, even a more modern version like Patti LaBelle or Aretha...Awesome!

My other most favorite Christmas song(s), as opposed to Carol, is "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas"...Judy Garland, PLEASE!!!! The Classic version is THE BEST!

Of course.."Silent Night", "Come All Ye Faithful", (Both wonderful Harmonizing songs..) and along the same lines, these traditional songs, which are ALL good for harmonizing as well: "Joy To The World", "The First Noel" "What Child Is This", "Gloria in Excelesis Deo", too many? There's more! "Hark The Herald Angels Sing", "It Came Upon A Midnight Clear", "Oh, Little Town Of Bethlehem",...and it goes on and on...and there are two more song songs that are a MUST: "Chestnuts Roasting on An Open Fire"..AKA "The Christmas Song", and "White Christmas, sung by Mr. Bimg Crosby.
Sorry I went on so long....Okay, I'm done for the moment. (lol)

 
at 6:24 AM Blogger The Mistress of the Dark said...

So glad you're enjoying the music. Grey Eye Glances are one of my favorite bands. I can't extol their virtues enough.

 
at 8:20 AM Blogger Aginoth said...

Little Drummer Boy....shudders at memories of the David Bowie/Bing Crosby version

 
at 10:24 AM Blogger soapbox.SUPERSTAR said...

Okay, seriously everyone...the Charlie Brown Christmas album is the best!

We are SO doing the carroling. I have started calling around to rent choir gowns.

 
at 7:11 PM Blogger Peggy said...

we do a hayride and carol every year and the one song that always gets everyone going and everyone wants to hear is the 12 days of Christmas. Especially if the dads are drinking.. its a hoot

 

Post a Comment