Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Cross your fingers and make me laugh

There is something about the word cancer that immediately evokes fear. The mention of cancer instantly creates isolation. It's almost as though the subject is taboo. People would rather you talk to them about anal sex and blow jobs, and yet cancer should be one of the most talked about subjects on this earth. Everyone knows someone who has been diagnosed with the crap, and so why doesn't anyone talk about it? Whay? Because it's scary, and it's painful, and the treatments suck, and the recovery sucks. There's nothing worse than going through chemo and throwing up for days on end. Or getting radiation treatments, and coming home too tired to walk or talk. It's even worse when you want to talk about it, and no one wants to look you in the eye. People expect you to die from cancer, and rather than deal, they just avoid.

I'm facing it again. I don't know if I have it. I know I have some necrotic cells in a lymph node, but I don't know what that means. I know it's serious enough to cut me open and pull some shit out of my neck. And I know it's serious enough that a one hour surgery could turn into a four hour surgery. Of course, they won't know what it is until they open me up on November 21. And I won't know until they wake me up on November 21.

And so, I am asking that all of my blog friends keep me laughing throughout the next couple of weeks. I want to keep my mind off this shit. I want to forget about it. I want to laugh. So make me smile. Tell me jokes. Show me funny pictures. Stop by, and remind me to read your blog. Ask me questions. Just don't ignore me. And remind me not to read stuff about the risks of neck dissection or the mortality rate of head and neck cancers. I did that already. Dumb ass as it was, I did it. I never could resist going into places I shouldn't.

Oh, and cross your fingers really tightly for me, and keep them crossed.

dena at 9:25 PM

22comments

22 Comments

at 10:44 PM Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you know what people in the hills do on Halloween?

pump kin

 
at 11:35 PM Blogger kenju said...

Dena, I wish you the best and I will keep my fingers crossed for you. I will be posting some mildly amusing stuff in the next week or so, and if I come across something really funny, I will send it your way. Take care.

 
at 5:11 AM Blogger Chatty said...

Everything is crossed so tight for you that I may not go to the bathroom for weeks. :)

Hang in there! :)

 
at 6:42 AM Blogger The Mistress of the Dark said...

Hugs hugs and more hugs

 
at 7:39 AM Blogger Aginoth said...

Fingers Crossed

 
at 8:32 AM Blogger soapbox.SUPERSTAR said...

I shall do my best to keep the laughes coming. And I will always look you in the eye (and probably point out the your makeup is messed up), so there!

 
at 9:30 AM Anonymous Anonymous said...

fingers crossed for you and while it's easy for me to say, try not to worry, it's not so easy.

 
at 2:26 PM Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have always wondered why cancer is not enemy number one.

We can spend 7 Billion on bird flu but not a disease that kills someone close to every single american?

After watching my neighbors battle with cancer I am even more scared of it than ever.

www.caringbridge.org/nc/bonnieclaire/

 
at 2:28 PM Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh...my point was that if she beat it, then so can you!

Racking my brain for a joke..

How does a cow do math?
a COWculator!

 
at 3:09 PM Anonymous Anonymous said...

My fingers are crossed and my thoughts are with you.

 
at 7:33 PM Blogger NaeNae said...

I have been reading your blog for awhile...just never commented. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

 
at 12:20 AM Blogger Your Mother said...

I'm crossing my fingers and toes for you. I'd cross my legs but that would only make me pissy in the long run. Frustrated, cranky, probably smarter, oh and TheMan may take offense too. Whatever. Joke him if he can't take a fuck right?

Stupid Joke #1: What kind of underwear to clouds wear? Thunderwear. har har har. I can't promise they'll get better either!

 
at 10:26 PM Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keeping you in my prayers.

cancer SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!

 
at 9:52 PM Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some of the contestants of the Miss America pageant are at a meet&greet, sipping cocktails, making small talk. Miss Alabama joins one of the groups and sweetly asks, "Where ya'll from?". Miss Rhode Island (or whatever state you would like to interject) looks down her perfect Patrician nose and replies "I am from an area in which we do not end our sentences in a participle".
Miss Alabama bats her pretty lashes, and without skipping a beat says "Ok then. Where ya'll from... Bitch?".

You are one of the most hilarious, real, entertaining writers I've read. Where I always end up sounding incredibly corny and sappy, you have an incredible wit!

Many positive thoughts to you.

 
at 9:16 AM Blogger carmilevy said...

I'm doing two things to bring a smile to your face:

1 - I'm going to post a really cool picture I took yesterday. Reading your blog inspires me to exercise my cracked vision of the world.

2 - I'm going to send folks from my blog to yours. I think my online friends will really get your vision as well.

 
at 11:45 AM Blogger ribbiticus said...

hi dena! here via michele and carmi today. will be keeping you and your family in my prayers. if you want to laugh a little, do hop by my blog. hope it helps keep the smile on your face. :)

 
at 11:53 AM Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

Hi Dena,,
Carmi mentioned you so I came by to see what your scary news is...And it is, indeed. Everything you say about cancer is so right on the money! I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers and it might give you a laugh to visit my blog today!
http://sitteninthehills64.blogspot.com
If you get a chance do stop by...I'll be back and hopefully will try to give you a GOOD laugh! Hang in there, Dena.

 
at 6:12 PM Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhh now I see. My heart goes out to you. We're going through a hard family crisis as well with my dad in the hospital and not doing so well. I've been playing scrabble with a friend who has cancer. She's using immunotherapy and doing well...for the time being. Link on my side bar...under scrabble cat.

 
at 8:26 PM Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fingers and toes crossed.

 
at 8:27 PM Anonymous Anonymous said...

this fit your humor:

During the jury-selection process, the judge asked a prospective juror some questions.
"Have you formed any opinion about the guilt or innocence of the man on trial, Mr. Ferguson?"
"None whatsoever," Ferguson answered.
"Are you opposed to capital punishment?" the judge asked.
"Certainly not in this case."

 
at 7:48 AM Blogger Marisa said...

I have been reading your blog for a litte while but have never commented. I always find it incredibly witty and amusing, and it definitely puts a smile on my face. :-)

I wish you well and hope that the big C stays away.

Please DON'T** come by and read my blog.

** Disclaimer: I know that by writing this I will have peaked your curiousity and you will indeed take a peek, but hey, at least you can't say that I didn't warn you. ;-)

 
at 8:39 AM Blogger Spock said...

Just read this, sorry I'm late in saying I will keep you in my prayers. Nov 21 is a day when good & bad things happen...2 years ago Nov.21 (NO KIDDING) I was run over by my car. Bad thing. Good thing, I lived!!

 

Post a Comment