Wednesday, October 05, 2005

What would you do - what should I do?

This Saturday morning I have a funeral to attend. And yes, it is a sad event, made even more tragic by the events which caused this man's death.

News article here.

The man's wife was a former co-worker, and i worked with her for over 10 years. They were always together - on morning walks, shopping, as clowns in clown school together, as Mr. and Mrs. Claus. I'm sure this whole thing must have been horrible for my friend, Joan.

But my point to this post has to do with the funeral service. Apparently, Joan wants us to come dressed in clown colors, and expecting to be part of some sort of puppet show about Bill's life. The word is that no black should be worn. Well, that's difficult since most of my clothes, and particularly my funeral appropriate clothes, have black in them? Would it be wrong to wear a black skirt and a bright colored top. And even so, I struggle with throwing on some brightly colored pink or blue top. It just goes against everything my mother taught me regarding funeral attendance.

dena at 6:07 AM

4comments

4 Comments

at 7:58 AM Blogger Geekwif said...

It seems like funeral traditions have changed in recent years. Instead of a time to mourn, the funeral service has become more of a celebration of the person's life. It sounds to me like his wife wants to treat his funeral as such. I guess my opinion in this case would be that it's more important to honor her wishes than to follow tradition.

 
at 8:09 AM Blogger soapbox.SUPERSTAR said...

Just wear the colored top. More importantly, have you mapped the area to see where you will drop death off?

 
at 12:30 PM Blogger Your Mother said...

Wear the colored shirt. Or a party hat. You'll feel weird but honor the family. Stop at 7/11 and drop off the death. I worked there for 5 years and it almost killed me. Musta been all those Greek folks on weekends...

 
at 10:33 AM Blogger carmilevy said...

When I die - hopefully in a long time, but you never know when some drunk teen will find you on the street - I hope my funeral has some sweet to mix in with the bitter. I want to be remembered for what I accomplished, not for simply leaving the planet.

Your explanation of tradition will remain stuck in my mind. I think everyone should drop death off.

Visiting from Michele's.

 

Post a Comment