Saturday, October 01, 2005

Neptune Festival Weekend

This is the best weekend of the year in Virginia Beach. Basically it's:

A Twenty block art show
Barbeque sundaes, funnel cake, crabcake sandwiches, turkey legs, onion blossoms, butterfly chips...
Four concert stages
Sandcastle contest
Great people watching
Parade

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Last night they did the statue dedication of the new 26 foot King Neptune sculpture. Amazing piece. We did a bit of walking around on the boardwalk, and then went to one of the bars and saw a decent band. Stayed out way too late, and unfortunately I felt horrid most of the morning, the fault of too many Cosmos.

Today we headed back to specifically look at the art, and found exactly the piece to fill the the spot I have been trying to fill for more than a few years.

We're taking a little break, and then heading back down for some music later this evening. There's a band I want to see, but they don't start until 9:30. Crossing my fingers that napless boy can hang. Of course, falling asleep in the jogger wouldn't upset me either.

dena at 4:33 PM

7comments

7 Comments

at 5:11 PM Blogger Jon the Intergalactic Gladiator said...

King Neptune looks really cool.

Here via Michele's.

 
at 5:59 PM Blogger RC said...

I'm happy that you're having a great weekend, Dena, and that Blogger comments is working now!

That photo of Neptune is so cool, but I think if I would ever see him in a dark alley, I would run for my life! I might be a big fat kid with big feet like my moms big feet, but I think if me and neptune got into a fight, he would win, but I think my mom mighthave a chance.

Hi, Michele sent me, and you sent me to! Thanks for visiting my blog, I hope to see you again soon!

 
at 10:18 PM Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the new look. I can't believe I grew up in Va and never went to Va Beach. You and Misty make me want to visit!

But, I've visted tonight virtually via Michele

 
at 6:43 AM Blogger The Mistress of the Dark said...

The list of foods sounds yummy! Mmmm funnel cake!

 
at 8:26 AM Anonymous Anonymous said...

it sounds like a great party! Michele sent me. Now I am off to google that funnel cake...

 
at 10:16 AM Blogger Minerva said...

Sounds like a lot of fun and I can't decide if I like or hate that sculpture - it is imposing certainly....

Minerva

Oh, and Michele sent me...

 
at 8:25 AM Blogger kenju said...

Hi, Dena, Michele sent me.

I attended one of the first VA Beach Boardwalk art shows back in the 60's. I think that the Neptune Festival evolved from those early shows, but I could be wrong.

I have a small metal sculpture that we bought there in 1964 or 5, to commemorate our anniversary.

 

Post a Comment