Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Needles and Necks Don't Mix

Today I had an ultrasound guided needle biopsy of a lymph node in my neck, and a lump in my thyroid gland.

I didn't get any bad news, but I didn't get any good news either. As the ultrasound tech, the radiologist, the microscope guy (he has a real title) and the pathologist poked, prodded and discussed my case, I sat still with a feeling of dread. The radiologist pulled crap out of the lumps, dumped it on a slide and the microscope guys made comments like "it keeps crumbling" and "get a better sample", as the radiologist stuck the needle back into my neck. I did keep asking them if it looked suspicious, and they said that it wasn't showing visible signs of cancer in either the lymph node or the thyroid gland, and that makes be feel a good deal better. This means that it's nothing that's progressed to a startling, obious cancer, and I really am hopeful that it's nothing to get worked up over. I should have the pathology reports back by the end of this week, or the early part of next week.

I did learn that the thryoid gland is nowhere near the lymph node that they biopsied. The lump that I was thinking they were worried about is not the thyroid gland. This meant I got to be stabbed in two places. The testing took two hours, compared to the 10 minutes I was told. Nothing is worse than being told you can't swallow...makes me want to swallow every three seconds. I also started freaking after the fifth attempt to get a good sample from the lymph node. Feeling needles going in and out of your neck is just a very freakish feeling. All I can say, is I'm glad it's over. It's a much worse procedure than I was prepared for, and I hope never to have it done again.

I'll be sporting a turtleneck for the next couple of days because my neck is very bruised and we don't want anyone to think Adam's been choking me. We are definitely not into erotic asphyxiation.

dena at 11:31 AM

7comments

7 Comments

at 12:55 PM Blogger Aginoth said...

Good news about no Big C must be a relief.

 
at 1:59 PM Blogger soapbox.SUPERSTAR said...

Okay, I was all sad until I got to the last sentence...shithead!

 
at 4:25 PM Anonymous Anonymous said...

all i can say is ouch!!!

 
at 7:13 PM Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad it's over, hope it's the last time.

 
at 7:58 PM Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poor thing. That sounded awful to go through.....and its crazy how hard it is not to swallow when you're made aware of it.

 
at 11:47 PM Blogger Your Mother said...

Nice cover. I think I'll use that. No, I had a needle biopsy. Yea, that'll fly. Seriously though, good luck and I hope you heal fast. Keeping my fingers crossed for the best. Keb

 
at 5:49 AM Blogger The Mistress of the Dark said...

Definitely a big owie! Hope everything is ok.

 

Post a Comment