Monday, September 12, 2005

Morning Glories, Boobies & Nickels

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I will continue to hold fast to my theory that there are no weeds. That is. in the sense that a weed should be immediately pulled when it sprouts in your garden. This summer I have been blessed with several intersting "weeds", that my husband would certainly have pulled, given the chance. Because of his insistance at pulling anything that newly sprouts, he has on occasion pulled up the first peek of many of my prized perennials. He has been relegated to the task of pulling up stray sprigs of grass...only grass, and only after having received several identification lessons. And so, that is why this beautiful morning glory continues to brighten my day each morning. In the early hours of the morning the vine, which has crept around my front deck raliling, blooms the most fabulous shade of blue. While the rest of the house sleeps, and I stumble out the door, grumpily digging for the keys from the bottom of my purse, the Morning Glory gives me this little bit of happiness. It manifested istelf out of a half used bag of topsoil, and rather than pull it, I cut the bag around it, and let it grow. I suppose its early morning blooms are its own personal way of thanking me for letting it survive, and selfishly blooming only for me.


And now to the boobies and nickels:

Ethan: Daddy, girls have boobies. Did you know that?

Adam: Yes, I know.

Ethan: I like those boobies.

Me: Enough with the boobie talk Ethan.

Ethan: I'm talking to my Daddy, not you. Go in the other room Mommy.

Me. Enough with that.

Ethan: I'm not talking to you. That's right, Daddy?

Adam: That's righ, but you still need to be nice.

Ethan: Boys don't have boobies. They have nickels. Only girls have boobies.

Adam: Nickels?

Ethan: Yes, that's right. Boys have nickels and belly buttons.

dena at 5:55 AM

8comments

8 Comments

at 7:39 AM Blogger kenju said...

Dena, that's a pretty morning glory. I once lost a passion flower vine because the yard man thought it was a weed. Grrrrrr!


Michele sent me today.

 
at 9:23 AM Blogger Geekwif said...

I love morning glories too. They have a tendency to take over the entire yard, so my hubby thinks they all need to be pulled. I used to agree, but a few years ago, I decided to give them some space. Now they make my heart sing every morning.

 
at 12:13 PM Blogger soapbox.SUPERSTAR said...

Did he mean nipples?

 
at 5:16 PM Blogger Michelle Keller said...

I love these conversations that you post. Kids are precious.

 
at 7:11 PM Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah... yes... Kids do say the darndest things!!

 
at 1:41 AM Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's this great book about gardening in 20 minutes a day which supports your weed theory - after all, they point out, holding up the dandelion, to a lawn purist they're weeds, but to others they're salad fixings, potential wine, or a pretty flower.

Michele sent me. And I hope this is coherent because my antihistamine just kicked in.

 
at 5:21 AM Blogger Star said...

L love that you posted Ethan's discussion. It made me smile. Hopefully you remember it years from now and smile then as well.

 
at 2:52 PM Blogger Your Mother said...

Oh that is funny. I remember teaching 5 - way back when she was around 1 1/2 or 2 that the reason she couldn't take a bath with her 20 year old uncle (who lived in our basement) was that girls have a vagina and boys have a penis. I left it at that. She had no clue what either was and that worked for both of us. She just knew there was a difference preventing bathing together. Fine. Until one day, grandma is in town and 5 is on her lap and she says 'gewals have a jina and boys have penuts'. I was moritified and The Man was laughing his penuts off!

 

Post a Comment