Friday, September 09, 2005

Enough already

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The entire HMO thing causes me to burn internally. I get so mad I could scream.

Today I called my oncologist to make my every other month appointment. The fact that the appointments are with a gynecological oncologist make them even more dreaded. But I go. I go, and I hate it.

The last time I went I was told that I needed to have my primary care physician renew my referral. When I originally finished all the crap cancer treatments, the primary care office sent over a lump referral that was good for a year. Perfect!

After I made my appointment with the oncologist today, I called my pcp to have them fax over a referral to my doc. They were cool with it, and said they'd take care of it either today, or at the very latest, Monday. Very cool. I was happy.

Two hours later I get a call from the pcp. And it went something like this.

pcp lady: I'm sorry, you don't seem to be a patient here.

me: Well, someone wrote the last year's worth of referrals

pcp lady: Well, you're not in the system

me: That's because you just faxed over the referral and I didn't come in

pcp lady: Oh no, we'd never do that. The insurance company would fine us.

me: Well, you did. I suppose since I was in the process of going through chemo, radiation, and radiation implant surgery you cut me some major slack

pcp lady: Well, that would make a little sense, but... you HAVE to come in.

me: For what??? Can't I just write you a check for the $20 copayment, and have you fax over the freakin' referral.

pcp lady: Oh no. You have to come in for a meet and greet.

me: I don't want to meet the dr. again. I don't want him touching me. I just want the required piece of paper. I'll pay you for it for gosh sake, just fax it over.

pcp lady: No, the dr. wants to talk to you.

me: OK. Make me the freakin' appointment. But I can guarantee you when the dr. meets me, he will wish he had never wanted to talk to me. And please write down on my chart that I do not want him anywhere near my vagina. Got it?

pcp lady: oh my. Well, do you want to make an appointment?

me: yes. I guess I have to, don't I? Gotta meet the dr.


I don't want to see this guy. I've seen him twice in the last six years. Once for strep throat, and once because my ob/gyn wanted me to see him for a suspected heart murmur. It's just not necessary. I've seen enough drs. in last year and a half to last me the rest of my life.

Why couldn't the place just take my $20 and be done with it? That's all that want anyway. F'ing HMOs. They're worse than rotting fish on a pier.

dena at 6:09 PM

14comments

14 Comments

at 6:58 PM Blogger Olyal said...

They want you to have a meet and greet with someone you've already met?? Sounds like they are just slack record keepers really. If you've been there twice in 6 years they should definitely have a file for you!
I hope it gets resolved quickly!

Michele sent me today. :o)

 
at 7:44 PM Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's more they want the cash for the office visit. I've had allergies for five years and the stuff I'm on works but the doc insists on having an office visit each year anyway. Total scam. I'm sure your visit will be "interesting" to say the least. BTW - Michele sent me.

 
at 8:28 PM Blogger Star said...

Everybody just wants to make sure theu get their piece of the health care pie.Unfortubnately sometimes we have to play the game to get what we want.

 
at 8:28 PM Blogger Star said...

Forgot to tell you Michele sent me.

 
at 8:45 PM Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, yes.

Do HMOs also get a fee for a visit as well as holding your records?

Being Canadian, I've heard much about the crap HMOs put you guys through, but thankfully have never experienced the hell firsthand.

Michele sent me!

 
at 9:29 PM Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's ridiculous! Hope the appt is quick and painless!

 
at 9:51 PM Blogger Michelle said...

Sorry you are having to go through all that. It really sucks. I hate HMO's too. Thanks for stopping by my site! Hope your weekend goes well!

 
at 10:08 PM Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, thanks for stopping by my blog. I'm glad to hear, from your first post here, that you are a cancer survivor. I can't imagine, even though having helped a friend through her own fight, the PITA doctors become. I can sympathise with not liking doctors though.

I also notice the pic of you and your son/daughter?. The little one will have the same age difference between youngest and oldest as me and my sister, 18 years, and its great. She treats me like a second mom and is just great to have for wisdom. :) Wouldn't change it for the world

Anyways before I get long-winded have a wonderfull weekend and thanks again for stopping by! :)

cheers

P.

 
at 4:59 AM Blogger Jean-Luc Picard said...

That's typical red tape for you, Dena. It's awful how patients are treated sometimes.

Michele sent me this way.

 
at 6:17 AM Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh gosh, Dena. Thats horrible. I 'm so sorry your dealing with this headache on top of all that your going through. I just want to hug you!!

 
at 8:04 AM Blogger Spock said...

Hey Dena, here from Michele's again. =^..^= Heart "purrmurs" & wacked out vaginas. Have you been reading my blog? My Mom is going through the same stuff......Soooo sorry for you.

 
at 9:45 PM Blogger Misti said...

Ever since we switched from PPO to HMO< i have been kicking myself.
I am sorry you have to go through this senseless bullshit. It cost them more money to have you go in?makes no sense.
here via micheles today :)

 
at 1:15 AM Blogger Its Me! said...

Why do they always have to make things that much more inconvenient? One of life's sad little mysteries, eh?

 
at 8:43 PM Blogger carmilevy said...

If I could run the world, bureaucrats would all be forced to ensure the hardships they so ably foist on others in the name of "efficiency".

 

Post a Comment