Sunday, September 25, 2005

Crazy..

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I don't like country music, as a genre. I don't listen to country music at home or in the car. Well, not typically. I do listen to one country artist, and that would be Patsy Cline. How did she stumble into my list of favorite artists, you ask? Well, I love biographical movies, and some fo the best are about country music artists. Remember Cold Miner's Daughter (Loretta Lynn)? Classic. Some of the best dialog ever...remember the bologna sandwich scene?

The movie Sweet Dreams about the life of Patsy Cline was just as good a movie, and with Jessica Lange starring as Patsy, and Ed Harris playing her husband, Charlie Dick...well, it may have even been a better movie. And the quotes in the movie are to die for:

Charlie Dick: I want to get to know you better.
Patsy Cline: Ok, now what does that mean?
Charlie Dick: Means I want to get to know you better.
Patsy Cline: See, I figure when you say you want to get to know me better - what you really mean is you want a ten minute screw in the back seat of your car.
Charlie Dick: Son of a bitch. You must think that thing between your legs is lined with gold. I can get tail any time I want, I don't have to come crawling after some mean mouthed woman who got a cob crossways. Hell, if I just want to bump uglies with somebody, I got plenty of places to go for that.
Patsy Cline: [laughing] Bump uglies?
Charlie Dick: That's right.
Patsy Cline: My lord Charlie, what a charming expression.


Well, that dialog was beyond classic.

But the point of this post, other than letting you know that Patsy Cline is one of my favorite artists, that her range is incredible, and that I can't think of anyone that could hit them like she did, is to tell you that Virginia (yes, she's a home girl) finally given the home she grew up landmark status -- 608 S. Kent Street in Winchester, Virginia.

Sweet Dreams, girl... maybe this will make you smile today. After all, they say it looks like it did when your Mama used to sew your cowgirl outfits.

dena at 8:57 AM

11comments

11 Comments

at 9:56 AM Blogger Jean-Luc Picard said...

'Coalminer's Daughter' was about the life of Loretta Lynn. I haven't seen 'Sweet Dreams' though. That is good dialogue.

Here via Michele.

 
at 10:24 AM Anonymous Anonymous said...

I absolutely love Patsy Cline. I play her greatest hits cd all the time!

 
at 10:27 AM Blogger carmilevy said...

Some dialog is meant to stand the test of time. This passage clearly is. I'll add the film to my must-see list. Thanks!

Visiting from Michele's. Once again, it's a wondrous Sunday morning because of it.

 
at 10:29 AM Blogger utenzi said...

Michle sent me your way, Dena.

Oddly enough my girlfriend and I were talking about the bologna sandwich scene just yesterday. I never liked Loretta Lynn's voice very much but I really liked Cissy Spacek's. I bought the sound track from the movie way back when it came out and was sooo disappointed that the singing on it was done by Loretta. For female voices in Country music Patsy Cline is probably the best but my personal favorite has always been Donna Fargo. She just sounds so sincere!

 
at 10:44 AM Blogger Kimberly said...

I can vouch for that being that I live so close to Winchester. I love Patsy too. She's a classic!

 
at 11:56 AM Blogger Twisted Cinderella said...

That is too darned funny! I love that quote!

 
at 3:01 PM Blogger rashbre said...

I don't listen to much American country music, although it seems to fit long drives across America.

Exception would be maybe Michelle Shocked and people who describe themselves a folk rather than country singers.

I shall look out for the Patsy Cline film!

rashbre

 
at 6:33 PM Blogger Lish said...

I'm crazy. Crazy for feeling so lonely. Be glad you can't hear me singing that. I love Patsy Cline too. Did you know that Willie Nelson wrote Crazy? Michele sent me.

 
at 9:33 PM Blogger soapbox.SUPERSTAR said...

You have been watching the news again, huh?

 
at 7:15 AM Blogger Star said...

I don't like country music all the time, but now and then is okay. Patsy Cline is classic.

 
at 5:36 PM Blogger Your Mother said...

I love Patsy Cline. I've bought the soundtrack to that movie three times. Two tapes & 1 CD. I sing along and 14 ducks in the back seat when we're in the car. 5 however thinks she sings as well as Ms. Cline. I think we rock!

*off key of course* we go out walkin', after midnight, out in the moon light, just like we used to do..

*smiles* Dena, you made my day!

 

Post a Comment