Thursday, August 11, 2005

Parlez-vous francais?

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

My last name is Clavier. Yes, I am sharing my last name and could really give a fuck about internet security issues.

It is the name I took when I married. I have been told by the Clavier family that the correct pronunciation of the name is Cla-veer, that it is a German name and that it means piano keys or some bullshit. I, on the other hand, prefer to consider it French, which drives my husband crazy.

Cla-vee-ay - oooh la la! Much more romantic and exotic sounding. I love when people see my name, and ask, "Are you French?" Especially when they do it in front of my husband. Of course, I'm always answering "Yes, very" and that just annoys the dog piss out of my husband.

But to prove my point...(thank you dictionary.com for your translator services)

In French: clavier
In English: keyboard

In English: clavier
In German: clavier

You make the call...

dena at 8:10 AM

5comments

5 Comments

at 11:09 AM Blogger soapbox.SUPERSTAR said...

I have always agreed that your name sounds much prettier pronounced as: clavee-ay!

 
at 9:08 PM Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, I think is is fixed!

 
at 7:07 AM Blogger utenzi said...

French does sound so much more sophisticated!

 
at 8:55 AM Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is so funny. No stalkers here either.

It think it is funny when people try to give my last name a funny pronounciation. I enjoy correcting them, "We're from Jersey, it is Manzi - MAN-Zee, not Monzi."

 
at 12:53 PM Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I don't know. I'm from New Hampshire where many of the French descendants tend to pronounce their would-be French-sounding names as if they were just English words.

Mais oui, the French -- anything French -- sounds very exotic!!

 

Post a Comment